granny smith apples
finely grated lemon, zest of
self raising flour
sifted icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350*F (180*C).
- Peel core, and slice the apples into eights (slicing through the middle ways, so that the slices stay in rounds).
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the apples slices and cook, stirring occasionally, over high heat for 7 minutes, or until browned.
- Add the raisins, lemon juice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, half the sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves and spoon the apple mixture into a deep 2 litre round ovenproof casserole.
- To make the sponge topping, beat the eggs, remaining sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl with electric beaters for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Sift together the flours and fold into the creamy mixture with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the sponge topping over the apples and bake for 30 minutes, or until the sponge is well risen and golden.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Best eaten immediately.