small firm fresh Brussels sprouts
( about 2 3/4 pound)
red wine vinegar
- Prepare the brussels sprouts by peeling off 2 to 3 of the dark outer leaves; trim stem ends.
- In a Dutch oven or 12" skillet heat the sugar over medium high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking pan occasionally to heat sugar evenly.
- Once sugar starts to melt, reduce heat and cook until sugar begins to turn brown.
- Add butter; stir until melted.
- Add the vinegars.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the water and salt.
- Bring to boiling; add the sprouts.
- Return to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 6 minutes.
- Uncover; cook about 15 minutes longer or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the sprouts are coated with a golden glaze, stirring occasionally.
- Keep warm until serving.