penne pasta, cooked as directed
reserved pasta water
bacon, cooked and cut up
bacon drippings, reserved
dry red wine
diced tomatoes in tomato puree
1 1/2 teaspoons
crushed red pepper flakes
fresh Italian parsley
fresh shredded parmesan-romano cheese mix
- Fry bacon in deep fry pan.
- Drain off all but 4 tablespoons drippings.
- Keep bacon in pan and add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
- Stir in wine and scrape up any browned bits on pan.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, red pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta as box directs.
- Drain off all but 1/2 cup pasta water for reserve.
- Put pasta in serving bowl and pour sauce.
- Can add some reserve water if seems dry a teaspoon at a time.
- Mix in shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- I have served with italian links, a chef salad, fresh bread and wine of course!