medium grain rice
light soy sauce
dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 30 min,reserve 1 1/2 cup of the soaking water
dark soy sauce
boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced finely
fresh grated ginger
1 1/2 cups
( saved from soaking the dry mushrooms)
bamboo leaves or corn husks or lotus leaves or
( for tying the bundles)
- Put rice ia a saucepan cover with the 4 cups of water, add light soy sauceand 1 teasp of sesame oil.
- Bring to boil quickly, then turn heat to low cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- While the rice cooks soak the mushrooms in very hot water for 30 minutes (remember to save 1 1/2 cups of the soaking water).
- Cut off the mushroom stems and discard, slice the caps and put them in a saucepan with 3/4 cup of the soaking water, the dark soysauce and 2 teasp sesame oil.
- Add chicken and pork to the saucepan along with the garlic, ginger and salt.
- Add up to 1/2 cup of the mushroom water and mix the ingredients.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Thicken gravy with the cornstarch (mix cornstarch with a little cold water or mushroom water before adding to the saucepan).
- Cook until gravy has thickened.
- Let the mixture cool and then gently mix with the cooked rice.
- Take 3/4 cup portions and place on the wrap of your choice.
- Wrap very securely and tie with string to ensure the bundle will not leak (if using tinfoil you do not need string but wrap and double fold all seams).
- Steam for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm, cold or reheated.