whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 teaspoons
1% low-fat milk
assorted dried herbs
( sage and Mexican oregano are particularly good)
2 -3 ounces
chopped sun-dried tomato
6 ounces chopped chicken breasts or 6 ounces
chicken thigh pieces
roasted sweet peppers, cut in strips
red onion, sliced and quartered
shredded mozzarella cheese
- For the Crust:.
- Put baking stone or baking sheet in oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients, including any herbs, in food processor.
- Cut in butter until in large pea-sized hunks.
- If you are adding cheese, tomatoes or olives, do so now.
- With mixer running, drizzle milk into flour just until it forms a solid ball of dough.
- Turn dough onto a surface floured with whole wheat and knead a few turns until smooth.
- Roll or press dough into desired shape.
- Remove baking sheet or stone from oven and sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough to hot pizza stone or baking sheet and pre-bake for 3-5 minutes.
- *If you do not have a food processor, cut the butter into the dry ingredients with two knives or your fingers until mixture is like coarse meal.
- Stir in milk and mix with a fork just until it holds together.
- Knead briefly to smooth and roll or pat out.
- For finished pizza:.
- Drop pesto in spoonfuls over crust and spread evenly.
- Top with meat and veggies, then scatter cheese evenly.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, enough to melt and brown cheese.
- Other suggested topping combinations:.
- marinara sauce, Italian turkey sausage, yellow and green summer squash, tomatoes.
- pesto, chicken, eggplant, green onions, olives.
- a little curry paste blended into plain yogurt, chicken, summer squash, yellow corn kernels, peas, tomatoes, (after pizza is cooked, top with chutney and cilantro instead of parmesan!).
- salsa, chicken, peppers, black beans, corn, tomatoes, cheddar and jack cheese.
- The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!