yellow split peas
2 1/2 cups
finely chopped fresh spinach
( or 1/3 of a 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed)
grated unsweetened coconut
( or more as needed)
dried red peppers
( or 2 bay leaves)
- Add split peas and 2 1/2 cups water to a 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes; do not stir.
- If bubbles begin to spill over, remove cover until bubbles subside.
- When peas are completely tender, mash them, add spinach, and bring back to a simmer.
- Add coconut, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add water as needed to maintain the consistency of a moderately thick soup.
- After 20 minutes, remove from heat.
- In a small covered skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil, mustard seeds, dried red peppers, and curry leaves until mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Mix skillet contents into peas and serve over rice.