1 (2 1/2 lb)
2 1/2 tablespoons
fresh cracked black pepper
( aka rapini)
garlic cloves, chopped
red pepper flakes
crusty Italian roll
( football shaped)
sliced sharp provolone cheese
- Turn crock pot on high setting.
- If the roast comes in elastic-y netting remove the netting, but keep it intact, you’ll be stuffing it back in later.
- Mix the next 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread the pork roast out on a clean surface.
- If there are any large thick sections of meat, score them with a knife.
- Rub 3/4 of the mixture over all exposed surfaces.
- Roll the roast back up and place back in netting.
- (Or truss with kitchen twine if no netting was provided) Rub the remaining mixture on the outside of the roast.
- Place the roast in the crock pot and cook at high for 20 minutes.
- Turn down to low and cook at least 3 hours longer or until the pork is falling apart.
- Remove pork from truss or netting and shred into large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat that may be left.
- Return to juices which have accumulated in the crock pot.
- For the broccoli rabe: Wash thoroughly and cut about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the stems.
- Cut the florets off the top and set aside.
- Bring 3qts salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add broccoli rabe leaves and stems and cook about 1&1/2 minutes then add the florets and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from boiling water and drain, but reserve about 1/4- 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a deep frying pan (which is cold) begin heat olive oil, red pepper flakes and garlic together over medium heat.
- Once the garlic begins to sauté, begin to time about two minutes (till very lightly browned) add drained broccoli.
- Sauté the broccoli rabe about 3-5 minutes longer and then add the cooking liquid from the pot.
- (This should look a little soupy).
- Assemble: Toast sliced roll if desired.
- Add provo to roll before hot meat. then the cheese can melt. After that top with broccoli rabe generously. manja!