sliced cooking onions
4 (10 ounce) cans
( NOT consume)
3 (10 ounce) cans
1 -2 teaspoon
( less or more , depending on your preference)
( dried bread rounds, usually in bread aisle at grocery store)
grated mozzarella cheese
- Put butter in a large pot.
- add the onions and sauté till translucent.
- Add two tablespoons instant blending flour and stir well.
- Add 4 cans of beef bouillion, and 3 cans of water.
- Add 1-2 tsp black pepper.
- Simmer, without letting boil, (I usually make in the morning and let simmer most of the day).
- Taste test for strength of broth, you want it beefy-- add more bouillon if needed, and pepper if not peppery enough.
- Fill french onion soup bowls with the soup.
- Top with a Rusk, then grated mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake in hot oven 400 degrees till cheese is golden and bubbly.
- You can brown up the cheese with the broiler if needed.
- This makes quite a bit, but it stores in the fridge and can be re heated.
- It will look yucky when you go to reheat as the butter comes to top and hardens-- but once heated is fine.