( I measure by fluffing up the flour, then dipping the metal cup into the canister and shaking the flo)
all-purpose flour, for patting out the dough
regular table salt
ice cold unsalted butter, if you have european style butter,use that
- Preheat oven to 400, I place a rack in lowest position in the oven.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter.
- Stir in liquid until it just begins to pull from the sides- it will be pretty moist.
- Spread 1/4 C flour on a pastry board and dump the dough onto the flour.
- Gently turn the dough until all sides are covered with flour.
- Knead by gently rubbing the dough into the flour, a scant 8 to 10 turns.
- Pat the dough into a 1 inch thich slab.
- Cut into rounds with a sharp round biscuit cutter- I use a 2 1/2 inch cutter-- you can push the scraps together to make room to cut a few more, try not to knead it too much.
- Place on insulated cookie sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
- Put in HOT oven and bake for 12- 15 minutes.
- You can test by lifting the top layer of the center biscuit; if it's done it will look dry inside and the edges will be golden.
- (I get 9 biscuits when I use a 2 1/2" cutter).