1 1/2 cups
sifted cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons
fresh lemon rind
cream of tartar
cream cheese, at room temperature
grated fresh lemon rind
sifted powdered sugar
6 -8 drops
yellow food coloring
1 (16 ounce) cans
grapefruit sections, well drained, reserving 2 tablespoons juice from grapefruit sections
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
- Add water, vegetable oil, eggs, grapefruit juice and lemon rind.
- Beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Pour into an ungreased 10 inch cake pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- When cool, slice cake in half horizontally.
- Beat cheese until fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and rind.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until blended; add food coloring. Add reserved 2 tablespoons of grapefruit juice and blend.
- Divide frosting in half and add roughly chopped grapefruit sections to one half.
- Spread this mixture on bottom half of cake.
- Top with several grapefruit sections.
- Cover with other cake layer and frost remainder of cake.
- Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections.