1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup
( if using margarine, NOT spread or tub product)
active dry yeast
grated fresh lemon rind
grated orange rind
5 1/2 cups
sliced candied citron peel, for garnish
candy sprinkles, for garnish
- Combine butter or margarine, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Heat slowly until butter is melted; cool to lukewarm.
- Beat four of the eggs in a large bowl with a wire whip; stir in milk mixture.
- Sprinkle yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar into warm water in a cup.
- Stir until yeast dissolves; allow to stand until mixture bubbles (approximately ten minutes).
- Add to egg mixture, blending well.
- Add lemon and orange rind.
- Mix flour into egg mixture, one cup at a time to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; knead until smooth and elastic (about ten minutes), adding only enough extra flour to keep the dough from sticking.
- Place in a large greased bowl; turn dough to coat all over with shortening.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.
- Punch down; knead a few times and divide in half.
- Using the palms of your hands, roll half into a 20" rope; lift ends and twist loosely one or two times.
- Place on a large greased cookie sheet in a half circle.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough, pinching the ends of the ropes together to form a large ring about 12 inches in diameter.
- Lift the ring slightly at one side and push the bean about an inch into the dough from the bottom.
- Cover and let rise again until double.
- While the dough rises, beat remaining egg in a small bowl and brush over dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375F during the second rising.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a golden brown and the bread gives a hollow sound when tapped.
- Slide carefully from the baking sheet to a wire rack; cool thoroughly.
- Before serving, mix the powdered sugar slowly with water until smooth and of drizzling consistency (you should only need a couple of tablespoonsful of water).
- Drizzle over the ring and decorate with candied citron and sprinkles.