1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
6 -7 cups king arthur gluten flour or 6 -7 cups
similar gluten flour
- Pour the yogurt into a fairly large pan and add the hot water.
- Put 1 Tbs yeast on one side of the bowl and 1 Tbs on the other.
- Do the same with salt and sugar.
- DO NOT STIR this mixture.
- Let set until a scummy surface is formed.
- Then add 2 cups flour and stir.
- Add 2 more cups flour and continue mixing.
- Slowly add 2 more cups flour or slightly more until the dough becomes real pasty.
- Flour a bread board and knead the dough.
- Continue to knead until the dough becomes somewhat stiff.
- Place the dough in the bowl and let rise 1 hour, then punch it down and knead it again.
- Let it rise again, then cut into 3-4 loaves and form into loaf shape.
- Spread a light film of butter on foil or a baking sheet and sprinkle corn meal over the film of butter.
- Place the loaves on the foil 1½-2" apart.
- Mix egg white with a little water and a pinch of salt and paint the loaves with this mixture.
- Score the loaves.
- Bake on middle rack of oven at 375° 30-40 minute If the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with your finger, it's done.
- 3-4 loaves.