1 1/4 cups
pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups
decorator sugar, if desired
1 -2 tablespoon
food coloring, if desired
- Combine 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup butter, egg and 1 tsp vanilla in large bowl.
- Beat on low, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Sift in flour and baking soda and beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover each half in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 375°F Roll out 1/2 the dough on lightly floured surface (I use 1/2 flour 1/2 confectioners sugar).
- Keep remaining dough chilled.
- Roll dough out to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with 4-inch cookie cutter.
- Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle with decorator sugars, if desired.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- While cookies are still warm, use toothpick to make holes for ribbons to hang cookies as ornaments.
- Cool completely.
- Frosting or filling: Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla in small bowl.
- Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often and adding enough milk for desired frosting consistency.
- Tint with food color, if desired.