beef flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain
1 medium white onions (about 1 cup) or 1 medium
yellow onion, sliced thinly
( about 1 cup)
1/2 cup light soy sauce or 1/2 cup
Braggs liquid aminos
dark brown sugar
red pepper flakes, to taste
cut scallion, in 1 . 5 inch pieces
( green onions)
fruity white wine
- Slice the flank steak thinly across the grain - the strips should be 2 to 3 inches long each; set aside.
- Combine the onion, soy sauce, sherry, broth, garlic, hoisin, brown sugar, ginger, and pepper flakes, then put the mixture into the crock pot.
- Put the cornstarch in a large Ziploc bag; add the sliced beef and toss well to coat.
- Add the coated beef into the crock pot, gently pushing it into the liquid to cover; pour the white wine over - do NOT stir.
- Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours; an hour before you're going to serve, turn the crock pot to high, add the cut scallions, stir, and cook for an additional hour.
- Stir, and serve over rice or noodles.
- Note: if I wasn’t doing a challenge (ie I can't go to the store to buy things I'm out of) there are things I'd do differently; although I searched high and low in the freezer for some ginger root, it seems to have disappeared - so I used ground -- next time it'll be fresh. Also, if you don't like your Mongolian Beef slightly sweet as the restaurants around here serve it, you can cut back on the brown sugar.