lean bacon, diced
3 1/2 lbs boneless beef rump roast or 3 1/2 lbs
sirloin tip roast
thinly sliced onions
( cheaper is better)
- In a large heavy Dutch oven, saute the bacon in the olive oil until drippings are rendered and bacon is browned a bit and crisp; transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In the bacon drippings, brown the beef roast well on all sides over moderately high heat.
- Transfer to the plate with bacon, then add onions, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves to the Dutch oven.
- Saute about 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Blend in tomato paste, lower the heat, cover and steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove and set aside half of the tomato-onion mixture; place the beef roast back into the Dutch oven with the bacon, then spoon remaining tomato-onion mixture on top.
- Carefully pour the wine and salt around the beef roast and bring to a simmer.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cove and bake in the 375 degree oven for 2 hours; remove and turn beef over in the liquid.
- Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees F then bake uncovered about 1 hour longer or until meat is falling-apart tender (and it will be!).