chipotle chile, from a 7 oz. can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
( reserve remaining chiles for another use)
extra virgin olive oil
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs
boneless skinless chicken breasts
red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
( about 12 ounces)
1 (15 1/2 ounce) cans white hominy or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) cans
yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
chopped seeded plum tomato
chopped fresh cilantro
- Remove 1 chili and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; reserving remaining chiles and sauce for another use.
- Finely chop chili and set chile and sauce aside separately.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add chopped chile, onion, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and cool slightly.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks then cover to keep warm.
- Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Place 1/3 of broth mixture in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour pureed broth mixture into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure in 2 more batches with remaining broth mixture.
- Return pureed broth mixture to pan.
- Stir in potatoes and hominy; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in chicken and cream; simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in reserved adobo sauce, tomato, cilantro and salt.
- Serve with lime wedges.