2 (3 lb)
corn oil, plus
2 tablespoons corn oil or 2 tablespoons
other neutral oil
( do not use nonfat)
garlic cloves, minced
salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Cut the pumpkins in half through the stem end, and cut out the long stringy fibers.
- Cut each pumpkin half into 3- to 4-inch pieces.
- There should be about 8 pieces from each pumpkin.
- Using a vegetable peeler, pare the rind from the pumpkins, digging the peeler down a little to remove more than just the superficial layer of rind.
- Place the pumpkin pieces hollow sides up in a baking pan large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Coat both sides of the pieces, using all of the oil.
- Pour all the sugar evenly over the pieces.
- Cover the pan.
- Bake the pumpkins until the color turns darker orange and becomes nearly translucent, and the texture is extremely tender, about 3 hours and 15 minutes.
- Baste the pieces once with the pan juices after 2 1/2 hours of baking.
- The Yogurt Sauce: Stir together the yogurt, garlic, mint and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Just before serving, taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Yields 2 cups sauce.
- For each serving: Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the yogurt sauce onto a plate.
- Using the back of the spoon, spread the sauce a little.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove 2 pieces of the pumpkin from the pan and center them on the sauce.
- Add more sauce to taste.