For Apple Filling
cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
5 -5 1/2 cups
2 (1/4 ounce) package
1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup
For Cinnamon-Sugar topping
- To prepare apple filling:.
- In medium saucepan, combine apples, flour sugar and butter.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cook 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly until thick.
- Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cool completely.
- While filling cools, prepare dough.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt.
- Heat 1/2 cup water with milk and butter until very warm (120-130°F).
- Gradually add to dry ingredients.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a 12x8 inch rectangle.
- Spread cooled apple filling evenly over dough.
- Beginning at long end of each rectangle, roll up dough as tightly as you would for a jelly roll.
- Pinch seams to seal.
- Cut each roll into 12 equal pieces.
- Place, cut sides up, in two greased 9 inch round pans.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- While dough is rising, prepare cinnamon-sugar topping.
- Stir together sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended.
- After dough has doubled in size, sprinkle rolls with cinnamon-sugar topping.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 25-30 minutes or until done,.
- Remove from pan, serve warm.