coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
( if unavailable, you can use regular oranges)
baby spinach leaves, washed, stemmed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons
sherry wine vinegar
1 -2 tablespoon
fresh blood orange juice, reserved from sectioning fruit
- In a small dry skillet, toast macadamia nuts over medium heat until light golden brown and fragrent, about 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Peel and section oranges over bowl to catch juices.
- Cut segments into 1/2-inch dice.
- Reserve juice for dressing.
- In large bowl, combine toasted nuts, orange, spinach and corn.
- Make dressing: In small bowl, combine garlic, mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
- With fork, mash to smooth paste.
- Add vinegar and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in oil in thin stream until dressing had thickened.
- Whisk in reserved orange juice.
- Correct seasoning, adding salt or orange juice to taste.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss until spinach is lightly coated.