lemon, juice and zest of
chopped fresh thyme leave
1 (10 lb)
fresh ground black pepper
whole lemon, halved
Spanish onion, quartered
garlic, halved crosswise
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the zest and juice of the lemon and 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves to the butter mixture.
- Set aside.
- Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash the turkey inside and out.
- Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers and pat the outside dry.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan.
- Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the turkey cavity.
- Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, halved lemon, quartered onion, and the garlic.
- Brush the outside of the turkey with the butter mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey.
- Roast the turkey at 350 F about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh.
- Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil; let rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice the turkey and serve.