limes, juice of
1 (3 1/2 lb)
pineapple, peeled and finely chopped
red onion, peeled and finely chopped
red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- Heat a dry skillet, add the first four ingredients and toast stirring continuously for about 30 seconds.
- Take of the heat and set aside to cool, crush using a pestle and mortar.
- Add juice of 1 lime and olive oil and mix well.
- Place the chicken breast side down onto a chopping board and cut along both sides of the backbone to remove it.
- Remove the wishbone.
- Turn the chicken over and flatten it out by pressing down the breast bone firmly.
- If you don't want to do this you can either ask your butcher to do it for you or use chicken pieces.
- Insert a long metal skewer diagonally through the leg and wing on either side to keep the chicken flat.
- Slash the thickest part of the chickens thigh with a sharp knife and place it into a roasting tin.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and the turn it over.
- Cover the tin with aluminium foil and keep refrigerated overnight.
- Grill under a preheated grill for approx 45 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken turns golden brown.
- Just before placing the chicken under the grill, mix the juice of the second lime with the pineapple, onion, chilie and cilantro.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, and the remove from fridge to allow it to reach room temperature before serving.
- Serve with the grilled chicken.