red onion, chopped
garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 lb pancetta (even Deli ham will do) or 1/4 lb
ham, of any type, thinly sliced
( even Deli ham will do)
swiss chard, washed and finely sliced
potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
tomatoes, seeded and diced
( rosemary sprigs, 4 thyme sprigs, 1 bay leaf, bunch parsley)
1 (14 ounce) cans
spinach leaves, washed and coarsley chopped
salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a 4 quart pot; add the onion, celery, garlic, carrot and ham and cook until soft.
- Add the cabbage, chard, potato, zucchini, water, broth, tomatoes and bouquet garni.
- Bring soup to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place half of beans (1-1/2 cups) in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the puree and the whole beans to the simmering soup.
- Simmer the soup for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You may adjust the consistency by simply adding more water.
- Ladle the soup in bowls, garnish with croutons and cheese.