1 (15 ounce) cans
yellow hominy, drained
1 (7 ounce) cans
minced mild green chilies, with liquid
minced yellow onion
minced roasted garlic
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers or 1/2 cup
yellow bell pepper
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
( or black or pink or green mixture)
extra virgin olive oil
fresh chorizo sausage, removed from the skin
salt and pepper, to taste
chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
sour cream, for garnish
shredded cheese, for garnish
( cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack, etc)
- In the crock pot on high temperature, dissolve the bouillon in the hot water.
- Add the cabbage, hominy, chiles, onion, celery, garlic, bell pepper, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Over a high temperature in a skillet, saute the unskinned chorizo sausage in olive oil until browned, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chorizo to the crock pot.
- Simmer on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until it has reached the texture you prefer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, add your favorite garnishes, and enjoy.
- Serve along with nice crusty bread or- even better- cornbread!
- Note: if your chorizo didn't add enough spices/flavor for you, feel free to add ancho chile powder, cayenne, jalapeno, whatever floats your boat. :).