olive oil, divided.
2 1/2-3 lbs
chicken, cut into 8 pieces
chorizo sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces
yellow onion, chopped
( about 1 cup)
uncooked white rice
1 teaspoon turmeric or 1 teaspoon
roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
chopped green onion
chopped fresh cilantro
jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
crushed red pepper flakes
medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- In a paella pan or a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat; add chicken and sausage.
- Cook, stirring until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and sausage to a paper towel-lined plate; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Drain off fat from paella pan.
- Wipe pan clean.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining oil.
- Add garlic and yellow onion.
- Cook, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and turmeric.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth to pan.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Return chicken and sausage to pan.
- Add bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, jalapeno pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and peas; cook until shrimp are opague, about 5 minutes longer.