shredded gruyere cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/3 cup
- Peel and quarter potatoes, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and mash, add the butter and gradually add milk.
- Mash until smooth and stir in salt.
- Place mashed potatoes in a greased shallow casserole dish and cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Whip heavy cream until stiff, then fold in gruyere cheese and 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese.
- Spread cream mixture over top of potatoes and sprinkle remaining Parmesan over it.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until top is well browned.
- Serve immediately.