3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons
1 1/2 cups
nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
fresh parsley, minced
1 1/2 lbs
( 2 large cans with any fat spooned off the top)
- In a large pot, melt the butter.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté until tender, but not browned.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook just until soft.
- Add the broth, seasonings and barley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the barley is tender.
- The soup can be thinned with additional broth if it becomes too thick.