1 lb egg bread or 1 lb
plain croissant, cut or torn into roughly 2 inch pieces
peaches, peeled and sliced
( My DD used frozen peaches)
3 1/4 cups
( you can use half & half)
vanilla ice cream, for topping
- With 1 tablespoon of butter, grease a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish; cut or tear bread into cubes (they don't have to be in uniform size) and place in the baking dish, prepare peaches by peeling & slicing; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar with a whisk; do not WHIP.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the peaches and cook until soft, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula.
- Add the cream and bring mixture to a boil. Gradually pour hot peach mixture into egg mixture while STIRRING CONSTANTLY. Add vanilla & salt.
- Pour the peach-and-egg mixture over the bread cubes; there won't be much room in the baking dish, but gently move contents around with rubber spatula until all the bread cubes are coated. Cover with wax paper and let stand in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put pudding, covered in the wax paper, into oven on middle rack and bake 30 minutes; then uncover and bake another 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow pudding to cool about 5 to 10 minutes, then slice and serve warm with a scoop of ice cream on top. Enjoy.