tart apples, such as granny smiths
strained fresh lemon juice
RICH CREAM CHEESE TART DOUGH
chilled cream cheese, cut into 6 pieces
chilled unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
unbleached all-purpose flour, plus
extra unbleached all-purpose flour, for shaping
egg yolk, lightly beaten for brushing rim of the crust
vanilla ice cream
VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM (optional)
1 1/2 cups
heavy cream, chilled
pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Peel the apples and cut them in half.
- Remove the cores with a paring knife.
- Cutting from blossom end to stem end, slice each half into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Combine the apple slices with the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Let the apples stand until the sugar is dissolved, about 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Place a shaped large dough round on a baking sheet.
- Arrange the apples slices in 2 concentric circles on the large dough round or in one circle on the small rounds, overlapping the apple slices slightly.
- Brush the rim of the crust with the egg yolk.
- Sprinkle the apples with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with Vanilla Whipped Cream or ice cream on the side.
- Rustic Apple Tart is best served on the day it is made.
- TO MAKE THE CHEESE TART DOUGH: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cream cheese, butter, 1 cup flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor.
- Process until the dough just comes together.
- It will be sticky.
- Sprinkle the parchment paper with flour.
- Turn the dough out onto the sheet and, with floured hands, press the dough into a rough 10-inch circle or four 5-inch circles.
- Roll about 1/2 inch of the edge of the circle inward to create a lip to catch the juices.
- Refrigerate the crust for 1 hour or wrap the baking sheet in plastic and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours until you are ready to use it.
- Shaped Rich Cream Cheese Tart Dough, wrapped in plastic, may be frozen for up to 2 months and used directly from the freezer.
- TO MAKE VANILLA WIHPPED CREAM: Combine the cream, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- With an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip on high speed until the cream just holds stiff peaks.
- Do not over whip.
- Use immediately, or refrigerate it, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 6 hours.
- Whisk it again for a couple of seconds before using.
- NOTE: If you are having eight or fewer people for Thanksgiving, double this recipe and make eight individual tarts.
- The dough can be made and shaped weeks ahead of time, and the rest of the prep is minimal, leaving lots of time to prepare the rest of the meal.