eggplant, cut in rounds
salt, for each round
2 1/2 ounces
( sufficient to cover base of frying pan)
large cleaned raw shrimp
cilantro, for garnish
Cheese Sauce (use 1 cup)
onion, chopped finely
2 1/2 ounces monterey jack cheese, manchego cheese or 2 1/2 ounces
fresh ground pepper
- Cut eggplant into thin rounds a place on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt and cover with another paper towel held down by a dinner plate for 20 minutes to remove moisture from the eggplant.
- Pat dry with a paper towel and pass the eggplant rounds through the flour.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan to cover the bottom.
- Fry until golden and set aside on another paper towel to drain.
- Cheese Sauuce:.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Add the flour to make a roux.
- Add the warmed milk a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Add the onion, nutmeg and bay leaf and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, beat in the egg yolk with a wisk, remove the bay leaf and add the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the shrimp into the sauce (the sauce should be should be somewhat thick).
- Place the eggplant rounds on a geased cookie sheet and spoon the shrimp/cheese sauce over the rounds.
- Bake in a 400 degree F (200 degree C) until golden brown.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.