red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 3 teaspoons
fresh oregano, to taste
15 1/2-19 ounces
canned black beans, rinsed,drained
chopped fresh tomato
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is barely tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add broth, barley and oregano, increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the barley is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in beans and tomatoes and heat through.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with cilantro or basil (if using) just before serving.