Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love this recipe and it makes a large batch so I can freeze. Zwina is the Moroccan Arabic (Darija) word for beautiful and when food is really good, that is said. I also cook a pound of pasta and freeze that in four zip freezer bags for an easy nutritious weeknight meal. You can add or omit vegetables as you see fit. I do a great deal with soups and sauces living alone so that I can get adequite nutrition while not having to make a three piece meal. I prefer male eggplants as they have fewer seeds and I have never in my life had to salt an eggplant. They have been changing for quite sometime to not require that step though I never bothered and never found one to be bitter. To pick a male look for the slightest indentation at the bottom. The females will have a deeper 'belly button.' I do not peel the eggplant either and that is my personal preference. Depending upon your tomatoes you may need to add a touch of sugar to balance. I make all of my soups and sauces a day ahead of serving. You may also find that depending upon the 'dryness' of your veggies thinning with some chicken or vegetable stock to be necessary though wait until the end of cooking to do so. I also season with salt and pepper at each step, then re-season as it cooks. c.2007
- 1 (20 7/8 ounce) package ground turkey breast
- 1 (45 ounce) bottleragu traditional spaghetti sauce (any will do, I prefer Ragu for it's 'plain-ness.')
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (I use one with basil, garlic and oregano)
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed Italian plum tomatoes
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 small eggplant, slice thinly into half moons
- 1 small zucchini, slice thinly into half moons
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced or, julienned
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons mixed Italian herbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Brown turkey quickly in 2 teaspoons olive oil and place in a large stock pot. Do not drain if any juices are left.
- In 1 tablespoons olive oil brown mushrooms and add to pot.
- In 2 tablespoons olive oil lightly brown eggplant and zucchini and add to pot.
- In 2 tablespoons olive oil saute onions, carrots, celery and bell pepper if using until just beginning to soften. Add to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to the stock pot and bring to just under the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer on low a minimum of 2 hours.
- Servings are a guestimate as we all use a different amount of sauce. Should you think it is more or less, please let me know and I will average the numbers.