1/1 Photo of Zwiebelwähe (Swiss Onion Tart)
2 hrs 45 mins
A delicious bacon-studded tart.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 cup ice-cold water
- 3 ounces bacon, finely chopped (known as Speck in Switzerland)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs white onions, finely chopped (about 3)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces grated gruyere cheese or 3 ounces good quality swiss cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2Pulse flour, baking powder, and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and pulse until pea-sized pieces form. Add water; pulse briefly. Transfer dough to a floured work surface; form into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour.
- 3Heat oven to 425°F Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle; transfer to an 11-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing into bottom and sides. Trim excess dough; chill for 30 minutes. Prick bottom of dough with a fork; cover bottom with a sheet of parchment paper; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until crust is set, about 20 minutes. Remove paper and b eans; bake until crust is light brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- 5Cook bacon in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat until crisp, 7-8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate. Discard bacon fat; add butter. Add onions and season with salt; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Uncover; cook until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Let cool.
- 6Whisk milk, cream, and eggs in a bowl; add reserved bacon and onions along with cheese. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour filling into tart; place on baking sheet.
- 7Place tart in oven and reduce heat to 400°F Bake until filling is golden brown and set, 45-50 minutes. Transfer tart to a wire rack to let cool completely before slicing and serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zwiebelwähe (Swiss Onion Tart)
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.1
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 153.1 mg
- Sodium 247.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 11.0 g