Recipe by swissms
A delicious bacon-studded tart.
Top Review by Lori Mama
You sure can't be in rush with this recipe. The end result is delicious though. I might suggest cutting back on the bake time, or at least perhaps lower the oven temperature. i found the crust browned way to fast and I had to keep an eye on it with the filling in it, as it finished baking. Made for Help A Naked Recipe Photo Tag game. :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup ice-cold water
- 3 ounces bacon, finely chopped (known as Speck in Switzerland)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white onions, finely chopped (about 3)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces grated gruyere cheese or 3 ounces good quality swiss cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Pulse flour, baking powder, and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and pulse until pea-sized pieces form. Add water; pulse briefly. Transfer dough to a floured work surface; form into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 425°F Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle; transfer to an 11-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing into bottom and sides. Trim excess dough; chill for 30 minutes. Prick bottom of dough with a fork; cover bottom with a sheet of parchment paper; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until crust is set, about 20 minutes. Remove paper and b eans; bake until crust is light brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Cook bacon in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat until crisp, 7-8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate. Discard bacon fat; add butter. Add onions and season with salt; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Uncover; cook until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk milk, cream, and eggs in a bowl; add reserved bacon and onions along with cheese. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour filling into tart; place on baking sheet.
- Place tart in oven and reduce heat to 400°F Bake until filling is golden brown and set, 45-50 minutes. Transfer tart to a wire rack to let cool completely before slicing and serving.