1/1 Photo of Zwiebelsuppe (Clear German Onion Soup )
This is very different from French Onion Soup. The broth is very clear and smaller rounds of bread float on top of soup. Adapted from Schoener Essen magazine, translated from the German. Perfect choice for a dinner party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 150 g onions, peeled,thinly sliced into rings
- 150 g red onions, peeled,thinly sliced into rings
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 liter chicken broth
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 30 g shredded parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh marjoram, to garnish (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large pot.
- 2Saute garlic slices and chopped marjoram 2 minutes.
- 3Add the onion slices and cook about 5 minutes (or longer if you like them very soft).
- 4Add wine and broth and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes at a gentle simmer (bubbling, but not boiling).
- 5Meanwhile, heat up your broiler and line a baking sheet with foil.
- 6Using a 6 cm round biscuit cutter, cut bread slices into rounds (discard excess)- you may also use a glass.
- 7Set bread rounds on foil lined pan and sprinkle with cheese and broil only about 1 minute- just to melt cheese.
- 8Test soup- season well with salt and pepper.
- 9Soup is ready when onions are tender- broth will be very clear& pinkish in color.
- 10Ladle into bowls and float a bread round on top of each bowlful, garnishing with some extra fresh marjoram if desired.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zwiebelsuppe (Clear German Onion Soup )
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.0
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.6 mg
- Sodium 1075.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: