Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is very different from French Onion Soup. The broth is very clear and smaller rounds of bread float on top of soup. Adapted from Schoener Essen magazine, translated from the German. Perfect choice for a dinner party.
- 150 g onions, peeled,thinly sliced into rings
- 150 g red onions, peeled,thinly sliced into rings
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 liter chicken broth
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 30 g shredded parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh marjoram, to garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Saute garlic slices and chopped marjoram 2 minutes.
- Add the onion slices and cook about 5 minutes (or longer if you like them very soft).
- Add wine and broth and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes at a gentle simmer (bubbling, but not boiling).
- Meanwhile, heat up your broiler and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Using a 6 cm round biscuit cutter, cut bread slices into rounds (discard excess)- you may also use a glass.
- Set bread rounds on foil lined pan and sprinkle with cheese and broil only about 1 minute- just to melt cheese.
- Test soup- season well with salt and pepper.
- Soup is ready when onions are tender- broth will be very clear& pinkish in color.
- Ladle into bowls and float a bread round on top of each bowlful, garnishing with some extra fresh marjoram if desired.
i cooked this a bit longer than you suggested, i cooked the onions for 15 minutes until they were soft and sweet, then i followed your wonderful recipe. i used white pepper for color, and used rye bread and gruyere cheese, this was a delicious first course to our dinner last night.
Easy and excellent. I used some fresh oregano as I don't have any marjoram (also a type of oregano) in the garden this year. I cooked my onions quite awhile, carmelizing them a bit and that ended the clear, pink color but it surely was delicious.
Delicious soup. We like clear soups and with the load of onions this was perfect. I used new garlic, chopped (this years crop about 1/2" around) great flavor.. the wine a Chardonney. Loved the parmesan flavor with the onion Thanks HF for an easy excellent soup