1/2 Photos of Zwiebelrostbraten - Pan Fried Beef Steaks With Fried Onions
By "Rostbraten", an Austrian means a thinly sliced sirloin steak which is slightly pounded, seasoned and quickly fried in hot oil. It is always served with a pan gravy. This basic application serves many recipes, of which the one topped with crispy fried onions is the most popular.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy sauce pan heat 2 cups of vegetable oil to @ 350°F Cut the onions in thin slices, separate into rings.
- 2On a plate mix the flour with paprika, dip the lightly moistened onion rings into the flour mixture, coat well and quickly fry them in batches. Remove to a paper towel lined plate, season with salt, set aside.
- 3Lightly pound the steaks between 2 sheets of parchment paper, using the flat side of the mallet only. Nick the edges 3-4 times to prevent them from curling up.
- 4Season with salt and pepper and coat them on both side with the flour - paprika mixture.
- 5In another large frying pan heat 2 tsp of oil and 2 tsp of Butter und quickly fry the steaks, ca. 1 - 2 minutes on each side, add more oil if needed. Remove them from the pan, cover and keep them warm.
- 6Add 1/3 of the previously fried onions to the pan, add the mustard and deglaze with some of the beef stock, correct seasonings. Reduce the pan juices to half, scraping off the browned bits at the bottom, add the cream and simmer for a minute or two.
- 7At the very end, add the beef steaks to the sauce to heat through, don't let the sauce boil anymore. Add more broth if the gravy gets too thick.
- 8Serve with spaetzle or potatoes and top with the remaining onion rings.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zwiebelrostbraten - Pan Fried Beef Steaks With Fried Onions
Serving Size: 1 (1006 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2675.1
- Calories from Fat 2001
- Total Fat 222.4 g
- Saturated Fat 67.5 g
- Cholesterol 582.1 mg
- Sodium 620.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 131.1 g