Recipe by TJW
This is a traditional late summer early fall snack, usually served with 'new wine'. It is not a sweet cake, but a nice hearty fall weather dish. I got this off a German website and translated it into English. This recipe is very good, and you will not be disappointed! Good for a potluck, or even a party snack.
Top Review by Jostlori
I had a hard time with this recipe due to the measurements. I tried my best with several metric conversion websites, but the proportions were a bit off. Still, it was a nice hearty dish. The bacon added a very good touch. The egg/creme fraiche sauce was good although it made way too much. Next time, will cut down on the sauce and add a bit more seasoning. This is very much like a pizzaladiere. Thanks for posting!!!
For the dough
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 1⁄4 liter lukewarm milk
- 375 g flour
- 60 g butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
For the topping
- 1 kg onion, peeled and cut into rings
- 150 g raw bacon, diced
- 500 g creme fraiche
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough:.
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk, and add the sugar and a dash of the flour, stir, cover and keep in a warm place for ten minutes.
- Add the rest of the dough ingredients in the pastry mixer and blend until you have a ball.
- Cover and keep in a warm place for twenty minutes until the dough rises.
- Preheat the oven to 225°C.
- Sautée the onion'rings' with the bacon in a large skillet, until the onions are transparent, and soft, but not caramelized.
- This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the eggs, the creme fraiche, the nutmeg, and pepper together with a whisk until well incorporated and smooth.
- Roll the dough out into a flat, large roasting pan (you want something with a slight edge to it) and then pour the onion and bacon mixture over the dough and spread it out to cover the dough evenly.
- Pour the egg-creme fraich mixture over the top and put it in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top.