Recipe by melfriesen
This is just one of the many recipes for Zwieback in my family. I like it because it uses some whole wheat flour and a lot less salt then others.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shortening (or 1/2 c butter, 1/2 c oil)
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in 1/2 c warm water.
- Mix 1 1/2 C warm milk with 1/3 c sugar, 2 tsp salt, 2 eggs, and 1 c shortening.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Add about half the flour and mix until smooth.
- Add enough additional flour to handle easily.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise until double.
- Punch down and let rise again until almost double.
- Shape by placing a walnut sized ball of dough on top of another just a bit larger, on a greased bakins sheet. Let rise. Bake at 400 12-15 minutes.