Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Another wonderful recipe from a Mennonite cookbook that I've have for years.
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 cups warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 -12 cups flour
- Dissolve the yeast in water.
- Add sugar, warm milk, butter, oil and salt.
- Add 4-6 cups of the flour and mix with an electric mixer.
- Continue adding flour and knead thoroughly to make a medium-stiff dough.
- Let rise until doubled in size.
- Shape buns by pinching off some dough to form a 2-inch ball.
- Pinch off a 1-inch ball and press on top of the larger ball.
- With your finger, press down the middle of the two balls, pressing all the way down to the baking sheet to stack the balls together.
- Allow to rise on pan.
- Bake at 400°F for 10-15 minutes.