Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups white beans, Dry
- 4 ounces ham, Cubed
- 1 cup cut green beans (Beans can be either fresh or frozen. Do not use canned.)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, Diced
- 1 green onion, Diced
- 1 onion, Yellow, diced
- 1 potato, Peeled & Diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 parsley, Sprig
- Cover white beans with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain and place beans in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Add ham and enough cold water to cover beans by 1 inch.
- Bring water to a boil and simmer for about 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Add green beans, celery, onion and potato.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables; simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a frypan, melt butter and stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and stir in heated beef broth.
- Cook mixture until smooth.
- Stir mixture into the soup and simmer until soup is thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.