Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An economical family main course I invented many moons ago for a food column on less-expensive but original ways to feed the family. Kids will surely like the novelty!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (or meat marinade)
- 2 tablespoons chutney, any kind
- 1 slice bread, very thick
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse
- 2 teaspoons pepper sauce (optional)
Pizza toppings (to taste)
- 12 pitted olives
- 1 small onion, cut into rings
- 1 cup grated cheese (or mix cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced (or use red or yellow)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- Heat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg Celsius.
- Mix the first 4 ingredients well with a fork.
- Break the thick bread slice into chunks and let it soak in the milk.
- With fingers, break up the bread and mix into the meat mixture, and mix well, but lightly.
- Use a pie plate, and then use the meat to form a "pie crust" as you would with dough. Press flat and even.
- Empty the can of tomato into a bowl (if whole tomatoes, cut them up).
- Add the sugar, pepper, pepper sauce if wanted, and a pinch of salt.
- Fill the meat crust with the tomato mixture.
- On top, add whatever you like to have on a pizza -- such as the ingredients suggested in the ingredient list. Even more fresh, sliced tomato can be added. If using bacon, put that last so it can cook nicely.
- Bake this "pizza pie" for about an hour, or until meat crust is firm and browned.
- Serve with bread and salad.