1/3 Photos of Zurie's Holey Rustic Olive-And-Cheddar Bread
1 hr 20 mins
This is based on a French recipe but I changed it substantially. Be warned that this "bread" has a consistency unlike any you've seen! It's actually delicious ... It can be eaten as it, without butter. It'll be great with wine and cheeses or on a platter with cold meats and other savory items. It's great with fried fish, or simply a mixed-greens salad. Next time I'll probably add walnuts in chunky bits as well. Easy and quick. I give both metric and American weights and measures.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces green olives, pitted, drained and patted dry (or use pimiento-stuffed green olives, 200 g sachet, drained)
- 3 1/2 ounces cheddar cheese, mature (100 g, best quality)
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (260 g or 2 cups)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (15 ml)
- 4 fluid ounces dry white wine (125 ml)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche (15 ml)
- 2 -3 teaspoons freshly-grated black pepper (10 - 15 ml, to taste)
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt (or fleur de sel) (optional)
- 1Grease a bread tin very well with butter. Mine have slightly sloping sides and measure, on the bottom, 3 1/4 x 7 1/2", and is about 2 " deep. (19 x 8 1/2 cm, 5 cm deep).
- 2Heat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg C, or slightly less if you have a convection oven.
- 3Drain the olives and pat dry with kitchen paper. Slice all of them into rounds.
- 4Grate the cheese on the large holes of your cheese grater, weigh, and keep.
- 5Put the flour into a bowl, break in the eggs, and whisk with electric beater. The eggs and flour will form small clumps.
- 6Add the baking powder, white wine, olive oil and creme fraiche to the flour-and-egg mixture. Whisk or beat until batter is smooth.
- 7Fold in the sliced olives and the cheese, folding in well.
- 8Add the black pepper, and strew over a pinch of salt if you like, although it's not strictly necessary due to the salty olives and the cheese.
- 9Scrape the cake-like batter into the greased tin and smooth the top. Bake for 55 - 60 minutes. Best is to test with a skewer, which should come out clean when bread is done.
- 10Turn out and cool on a rack.
- 11(The top might crack, which is normal).
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zurie's Holey Rustic Olive-And-Cheddar Bread
Serving Size: 1 (930 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2641.4
- Calories from Fat 1419
- Total Fat 157.7 g
- Saturated Fat 43.5 g
- Cholesterol 682.9 mg
- Sodium 5026.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 215.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 73.0 g