1 hr 15 mins
Swiss cuisine is fairly straight-forward. It is also heavily influenced by French, Italian and German cuisine. Meat is expensive and used sparingly. This is a typical economical hot-pot for 4 persons. The Swiss, by preference, would use veal for this, or the Swiss goat meat they are very fond of, but tender pork would do equally well. Switzerland prides itself on its dairy products -- in the lovely countryside the cows are everywhere! So they use dairy products lavishly, and their veal comes, of course, from the fact that a dairy cow has to calve every year to keep her in milk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 750 g veal, in small chunks (1 1/2 lbs, and deboned pork neck is a great substitute)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, medium, cut into large chunks
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, coarse
- 1 small savoy cabbage, cut into wedges (or use cabbage of your choice)
- 6 potatoes, medium, peeled and halved
- 3 carrots, scraped, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- rosemary (or parsley, or any extra seasonings of your choice)
- 1Heat the butter in a large pot. When hot and turning colour, add the chunks of meat and fry, stirring. Add the onions and garlic and on lower heat let it steam for 5 minutes or so, on top of the meat.
- 2Add cumin, salt and pepper, and put half the cabbage wedges on top. (Do not stir the pot).
- 3Add the potatoes and carrots, add seasonings and herbs of your choice, then put the remaining savoy or other cabbage wedges on top.
- 4Season again, add the wine and water, cover the pot, and simmer gently for about 60 - 75 minutes, until you have a nice stew and tender meat. Can be served in heated soup plates, with chunks of fresh bread and glasses of red wine.
- 5(You should not need more liquid, but do check, and add some more wine if necessary).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zurcher Eintopf (Swiss One-Pot Meal)
Serving Size: 1 (730 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.0
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 189.9 mg
- Sodium 864.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 49.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: