Not bread alone, 1st Baptist Church Rochester, 1999
Make and share this Zupse Bread Swiss Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Add the yeast to one cup of the scalded, cooled milk to proof.
- Mix the butter, sugar, salt and flour together.
- Beat the egg and add to the remaining milk.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the milk/egg mixture.
- Mix well; add milk/yeast mixture.
- Mix well.
- Turn out of bowl and knead until no longer sticky.
- Replace in bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and let rise again until doubled.
- While dough is rising for the second time, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Form into loaves on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or bread sounds hollow when thumped.
- During the last ten minutes of baking, brush with an egg wash for a dark golden crust.