1/1 Photo of Zuppa Toscana Soup (Olive Garden Clone)
Chef Wahoo's Note:
I have tried quite a few different recipes that state they are a Zuppa Toscana Copy Cat but none of them had much flavor and while they were close I set out to make a soup that is Zuppa Toscana.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1814.36 g) kitchen basics chicken stock (don't substitute with broth) or 1892.0 ml homemade chicken stock (don't substitute with broth)
- 3 piece bacon
- 1 large onion white, diced fine
- 3-4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 453.59 g sweet Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 bunch swiss chard or 1 bunch kale, cut into bite size pieces
- 158.51 ml cream or 158.51 ml half-and-half cream
- 1419.54 ml water
- 1.23 ml ground aniseed
- 2.46-4.92 ml salt, depending on taste
- 0.25 ml red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- 1Bring chicken stock and water to a light boil and add potatoes.
- 2In a skillet (preferably cast iron or enameled cast iron) cook bacon until somewhat done and remove (but do not add bacon to the soup, save for a BLT or something).
- 3Sauté the onion in the bacon rendering until almost caramelized (golden color).
- 4Remove and put in boiling stock.
- 5In the same skillet add olive oil and cook Italian sausage (with casings removed).
- 6Add garlic with the sausage and cook until sausage is done and the consistency of ground hamburger meat.
- 7Add mixture to the stock.
- 8By this time check to see if potatoes are cooked by trying to squish them on the side of the stock pot.
- 9When they are done reduce heat and add cream and Swiss chard, salt, anise, red pepper, black pepper.
- 10Serve with garlic bread or corn bread (or even better an herbed Parmesan corn bread).
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zuppa Toscana Soup (Olive Garden Clone)
Serving Size: 1 (707 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.7
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 47.9 mg
- Sodium 945.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 21.1 g