Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Olive Garden lovers... you'll recognize this one. Spicy sausage, russet potatoes, and cavolo greens in a light creamy broth.
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 5 1⁄2 cups broth
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine the stock and cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Slice the unpeeled potato into 1/4-inch slices, then quarter the slices and add them to the soup.
- Add the kale.
- Grill or sauté the sausage. When cooked and cooled, cut the sausage in an angle about 1/2-inch thick. Add the sausage to the soup.
- Add the spices and let the soup simmer for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
Loved this soup I think it is the exact replica of the Olive Gardens'. I was a little hesitant to use pepper flakes in addition to the hot Italian sausage, but found it was a definite must to achive the right flavor. Served with facassia toasted and topped with Parm. Thanks.
Excellent and EASY!!!! I made this with homemade stock. So delicious!
This is seriously my favorite soup. I use turkey sausage and bacon bits to cut the fat grams. The orig. recipe calls for reg. bacon, and also some garlic. So..very, very good! And guests love it! Oh and the orig. recipe uses crumbled italian sausage, so I just squeeze the turkey sausage out of the casing and brown it. Then I add the garlic, then the low fat REAL bacon bits. Then I add the liquid (I use water and bouillon and monitor my salt content otherwise).