Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Potatoes, spinach, and sausage make this soup AMAZING! Great for leftovers also. I'm guessing on number of servings and prep and cooking time.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or garlic powder)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 -8 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups spinach (optional) or 2 cups kale (optional)
- mushroom (optional)
- Cook potatoes in water with chicken bouillon cubes until potatoes are done.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter until onion is soft, add spinach or kale to onion and garlic if using. Wilt greens.
- To chicken broth, add black pepper, parsley, red pepper, sausage, and mushrooms if using.
- Add onions, garlic, and spinach to soup and stir to combine all.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Before serving, remove soup from heat and stir in sour cream and parmesan cheese until thickened and combined.
- Note: You may use as little or as much spinach or kale as you would like.
My hubby and I really loved this soup. I put in a ton of spinach that I needed to use up, and used turkey meatballs instead of sausage. I also put in mushrooms. My husband said it was the best soup that I had ever made.
Awesome soup! I usually use turkey sausage and kale - so so good! Really does taste like the original.
Very good recipe. A little too salty (I can't get low-sodium chicken broth or anything where I live) but still good. I did use chicken broth (left over from a cooked chicken) instead of bouillon cubes.