Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good comfort food.
- 1 1⁄2 cups spicy sausage links (12)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups kale leaves, cut in half then sliced
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place sausage links onto a sheet pan and bake 25 minutes, or until done; cut in half lengthwise, then cut at an angle into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until onions are almost clear.
- Remove bacon and crumble.
- Add garlic to the onions and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add chicken base, water and potatoes, simmer 15 minutes.
- Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale and cream.
- Simmer 4 minutes and serve.
First of all this doesn't taste like the soup at OG. Something is missing. Secondly, I realize this recipe doesn't claim to be like that of the OG, but since I had to add almost a pint of water to this because it was incredibly salty, I am rating it lower (sorry). I couldn't believe how salty it was. There are several of these recipes for zuppa toscana here on recipezaar and this one isn't going to make the cut for me. A decent attempt, but I eat at the OG frequently and this one isn't it, I am actually quite surprised that so many people thought it tasted just like the soup at OG. My search continues!
Fabulous soup! I made this for part of our New Years lunch and everyone loved it. I made it the night before and just reheated it the next day. Instead of kale I substituted collard greens (because it is New Years day and we are Southerners). Thanks for the great recipe. We'll be making this again soon!
I made this soup the other day because I was craving the Olive Garden one and this definitly satisfied that craving. This is great and something I will make over and over again.