Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love the way this soup leaves a pleasant little burn in your mouth without being too hot!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon (chopped)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 10 cups water
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh kale
- Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in pot.
- Drain excess fat, set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Mix together the chicken bouillon and water, then add it to the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boiling.
- Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
- Add heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Stir in the sausage.
- Add kale just before serving.
THIS. SOUP. IS. SOOOO. YUMMY!!! had to make 3 little changes - got into making it and realized I was out of garlic, so I used some garlic powder and I had a couple cups of chicken stock in the fridge so I used that with 8 cups of water and 4 boullion cubes and lastly, bought half and half instead of heavy cream by mistake!! Must confess, ate it until my tummy hurt - couldn't stop! Made for 3-Chefs Nov '09 UPDATE 01/26/10: my local grocery store had some nasty looking kale, so I substituted a package of frozen spinach, squeezed dry and chopped finely! Worked great!