Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
So easy, this cheesy Italian comfort food is done in about 20 minutes or so. The key is to use a low-sodium broth since the cheeses are a bit salty together. It's a good choice when there's a light chill in the air but you don't want something too heavy or complicated. It's not exactly low-cholesterol, but it's a delicious treat once in a while!
Top Review by mianbao
This is yummy! I decided to make one serving of this for a luxurious weekend breakfast for myself. It was easy to make and is delicious, too. I wondered for a moment whether the mozzarella would really melt, but it did. This is real comfort food. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe. (Originally posted Jan 7, 2005, spelling corrected and re-posted.)
- 4 slices thick French bread or 4 slices Italian bread
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, in 1/2 inch dice
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush bread slices with olive oil and rub with garlic.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake about 5 minutes per side, until golden.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil.
- Whisk together eggs and Romano cheese, then gradually add this mixture to the boiling broth.
- Stir for a couple of minutes, until egg strands are cooked.
- Add parsley and black pepper to taste.
- To serve, place a garlic bread slice in each bowl.
- Sprinkle some diced mozzarella over bread and ladle hot soup over all.
- The mozzarella will be so melty and gooey!