Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great soup. Courtesy of Rachael Ray
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, a couple of handfuls
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pot
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 stalks celery, and their greens
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and halved
- coarse salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can white beans, cannellini, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced tomato puree or 1 (15 ounce) cancoarsely ground tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock, available in re-sealable boxes on soup aisle
- 2 cups beef stock, available in 1 cup small boxes on soup aisle
- 1 cup egg pasta, broken egg fettuccini or 1 cup egg noodles
- 2 garlic cloves, cracked away from skins
- 1 (2 ounce) canflat fillet anchovies, drained
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley (handful)
- 1 lemon, zest of
- crusty bread, to pass at table
- Combine the veal and the next 5 ingredients then reserve mix and rinse off your hands.
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium to medium-high heat.
- Begin to chop veggies while pot heats up: dice carrots into 1/4 inch pieces, chop celery and onion.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil to hot pot and carrots. Turn carrots to coat them in oil and add celery and onion as you get them chopped up. Work near the stove so you can chop, then drop into the pot.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and a bay leaf. Stir vegetables and cook 5 minutes to begin to soften. Do not let vegetables brown, reduce heat if necessary.
- Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Next, add beans and tomatoes and stock to the pot. Put a lid on the pot and raise heat to high. When soup boils, about 3 minutes, add 1-inch balls of veal dumplings directly to the pot. When you are done adding the veal, stir in the egg noodles. Simmer stoup for 6 minutes to cook noodles and meat dumplings. Adjust seasonings and turn the heat off, then let stoup stand a couple of minutes.
- Pile garlic, anchovies, parsley and lemon zest on a cutting board and finely chop the mixture, then transfer to a small dish.
- Serve stoup in shallow bowls with a couple of teaspoonfuls of gremolata on top. Stir the gremolata throughout the stoup and pass crusty bread at the table for dipping and mopping.